Who is Today’s C.S. Lewis?

I find myself wondering today who could possibly be reckoned as “today’s C.S. Lewis”.

I mean, a guy who understands the context we’re living in, is able to put my faith in words that both make sense and speak to the heart, and can also write a good story. A real good story. Moreso, a guy who I can actually see as a kind of mentor, because having people who are no longer alive as a kind of mentor doesn’t tend to help. ( 😀 )

I find there’s a distinct lack of influential Christian writers at the moment. Sure, we’ve got plenty of Christian writers, and plenty of books, but I guess I’m looking for a guy who smokes pipes and doesn’t try to be too idealistic about everything. I’m looking for the kind that can also talk about politics reasonably and is primarily a writer. I’m looking for a good ole C.S. Lewis, and I don’t find him anywhere.

Nor am I probably making much sense 😉 .

Any recommendations?

About Ryan Peter

Ryan Peter is a writer, journalist and ghostwriter from Johannesburg, South Africa. He writes fantasy, sci-fi, inspirational fiction, and on faith. Ryan is also part of the New Covenant Ministries International (NCMI) translocal team.

12 replies
  1. Alan
    Alan says:

I think you’re right Ryan. Although it is only future generations who recognise the work of Lewis’ magnitude. The same is true of Kierkegaard and Augustine, etc.

So perhaps today’s CS Lewis is Ryan Peter?

2. Steve
    Steve says:

I keep hoping that another Charles Williams will come along too. Thinking also about your other post about writing, I once took part in NaNoWriMo, and challenged others to join in and try to write a novel in the genre of Charles Williams (Lewis did — That hideous strength

I got no takers. And, what’s more, I got no readers. I offered it to Charles Williams fans for free — no takers. So I reckon if no one who’s a fan of Charles Williams will look at it when it’s free, no amount of marketing by a publisher will sell it.

Everybody wants people to write that stuff, but nobody wants to read it.

3. Ryan Peter
    Ryan Peter says:

Hmmm, Steve, that’s an interesting insight. I just can’t figure out why — why does no one want to read that sort of thing?

To be honest I had never heard of Charles Williams before, now I see he was also a member of the Inklings! Wow, I need to do some catching up there.

My wife and I loved That Hideous Strength, about a year ago we read it together and I was actually just commenting on it last night to my wife. It was so unusual. In fact, the whole Ransom series was brilliant.

Well, here’s a taker, I would gladly read your story! 😀

• Steve
      Steve says:

Well, try to get hold of Charles Williams. He wrote 7 novels, some plays, and a couple of church history books, and one on witchcraft. I recommend that you start with War in heaven, The place of the lion or The greater trumps among his novels. Read them in that order if you can. But they are hard to find.

I’ll send you mine if you like, just give me an e-mail address.

4. Jim Rehl
    Jim Rehl says:

You might enjoy John Kasich’s new book, Every Other Monday, Twenty Years of Life, Lunch, Faith, and Friendship. It is a story of a group of men who have been getting together for twenty years to study the Bible in a small group setting.

The writing is not as deep as C.S. Lewis’, but as a nine-term congressman and presidential candidate can talk about politics.

Also, he is not too idealistic.

Jim

5. Stephen Murray
    Stephen Murray says:

I think at a popular level Tim Keller is beginning to be a voice that stands out among others. At an academic level the likes of Alistair McGrath, Alvin Platinga and Nicholas Wolterstorff are significant voices. But none of them are quite Lewis. That being said I wonder how people will view Keller 20 odd years after his death.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!